24 July 2013
You’ve worked hard all year. You’re exhausted! Basking in the sun on a sandy beach with glittering blue water sounds pretty perfect….until you get there. And then you’re bored. Right? Here are 10 simple exercises to get you feeling fit and looking fab… and entertained. Come on now, earn that ice cold beer you are craving for lunch.
1. Warm Up Run: Start with a 25 minute run along the water’s edge where the sand is more compact. This is not easy, so cut it down to 10 minutes if you’ve reached your limit. And, remember to stay hydrated!
2. Sumo Squats: Standing up straight, head up, shoulders back, legs wide apart, slowly squat down until your knees are just over your big toe. At this point slowly come up to starting position. 14 reps.
3. Press-ups: Feet on the ground with your hands on the second step. Keeping your abs tight and head down, slowly bend your elbows until you are two inches from the ground. Then slowly pressup into starting position. 14 reps.
4. Step-ups: Find a bench. Place your left foot on the bench while your head is held up and shoulders are back. While you are lifting your body up to the forward (left) leg, the back (right) leg will lift up into a knee raise. Slowly lower your right foot back to the ground, switch and repeat on the opposite leg. 10 reps on each leg.
5. Walking Lunges: Take a long stride forward with your left leg; at the same time slowly bend your right leg until the right knee is about to overtake the left knee. At this point take a long stride forward with your right leg and repeat the exercise (in a walking motion). 10 strides.
6. Triceps Dips: Hands are placed on the bench, shoulder width apart, legs are placed forward with the knee bent. Lower yourself down, keeping your elbows tucked in until your glutes are five inches from the ground. At this point slowly lift yourself back up into starting position. 12 reps.
7. Plank: Facing face down, keeping your elbows under the shoulder joint, lift your body up from the elbow to the tip of your toes. Every other part of your body is off the floor, keeping the abs tucked in nice and tight and your head in a neutral position. Hold this position for 45 seconds and slowly relax back to flat floor position. 45 seconds.
8. V Sit Up: Laying back down with your whole body flat, slowly lift your legs off the floor and then the upper body until you form a V-shape in this position. Slowly lower your body back to flat position. PLEASE NOTE: if you have a weak lower back, please miss this out. 12 reps.
9. Crunch: Laying flat down on your back, with your knees bent and feet on the floor, place your hands crossed over your chest and slowly lift up five inches from the ground. Slowly lower your body back to the floor. 20 reps.
10. Rest and repeat all exercises again.
Do all the exercises in a circuit format; so you do one set of each exercise, then repeat two more times. Try it three to four times per week, always warm up before you start and stretch after each workout. Just think how you’ll be the envy of all of your friends when you return to work – relaxed, tanned, AND trim!