Your body is amazing!
It knows when to go to sleep, when to wake up, and when to go to the bathroom. It maintains a temperature of 98.6 degrees, repairs itself when wounded, and knows the miracle of pregnancy and childbirth. Your heart never misses a beat. Your lungs are always breathing. The body is a super computer, and it never makes mistakes.
Look at the foods, deficits, and behaviors in your life that are the underlying causes of your cravings. Many people view cravings as weakness, but really they are important messages meant to assist you in maintaining balance. When you experience a craving, deconstruct it.
Ask yourself, what does my body want and why?
Here are a few primary causes of cravings:
1) Emotional eating - It can be used as a substitute for entertainment or to fill the void of primary food.
2) Lack of water - It can send the message that you are thirsty and on the verge of dehydration which can manifest as hunger, so the first thing to do when you get a craving is drink a full glass of water.
3) Imbalance - Eating a diet too rich in sugar may cause craving for meat so keep a well balanced diet at all times.
4) Seasonal - Often the body craves foods that balance the elements of the season. For example, in the summer we crave cooling, fresh foods & in the winter we crave warming, heated foods.
5) Lack of nutrients - If the body has inadequate nutrients, it will produce odd cravings. For example, inadequate mineral levels produce salt cravings.
6) Self-sabotage - We crave foods that throw us off which often happens from low blood sugar. Remember to include a protein, complex carb (i.e. whole grains, sweet potatoes and beans) and healthy fat during each meal.
Eating well is essential to maintain your health - exercise can only increase the benefit and that is what we are all about at the MOOSE!
LOVE YOUR BODY, WE DO!